Sunday 7 June 2009

Customer Service in The Netherlands: Long way to improve


I am mad, angry and frustrated.
I am leaving this country and in the last 5 days I have had the worse experiences ever regarding customer service.
Under normal circumstances I am positive, I can understand things but I also require service. I don't think I am asking too much, service is service... and the definition of this word is far too different to the definition I have.

What I have realized is that nobody gets committed to selling. People BUY but the shops don't sell, in the sense that workers do not try to help and support the sale. I am mainly talking about shops.

Everyday I had to contact a different company to arrange paperworks, to book things or to order. Results, failed, failed, failed. Always a excuse or impossible to reach them.

- Either the phone number they had on the website was not working (and when I tell them they don't care!!)

- I order personally something making sure that they get committed (face to face is much better)or that they contact me if cannot make it. Say yes and yesterday they say it was not possible (not even warning me to go to plan B)... but they don't care and admit it with a happy face!!

- I try to contact via website to other places and no way to contact them by e-mail, only by phone (costly, difficult to reach and, ladies and gentlemen, I will be sleeping when you have your "office hours", Monday to Friday... but about the support online for the rest of the time??

8 years ago I was surprised and disappointed about customer service... and I gave it a chance... (may be the language barrier, the way of communicating...I thought).
I have had some good experiences though but again, 8 years later... I can only say that it is still very, very bad and if there is something out of million things I have experienced, lived and extracted from living in NL, the failure in this aspect is the more relevant thing I can take with me. I am really sorry about that. I hope next time I come to visit I can say something different.
Perhaps I have a high benchmark, which I don't think so, perhaps here the benchmark is not existing.... please, have a look at your neighbouring countries, even to southern countries work better in this aspect!!

If anybody wants or needs more example or suggestions, I can do it in a private way. For now, that's it. I will tell you how it works in Japan.
Now, less than 24 hours to leave... with a bitter feeling to be honest (thanks God that there are people that are pampering and taking care of me all the time until the last second!! ;-))I feel honoured and appreciated. I have the same feeling towards them. After all, the best thing. Don't forget, treat well the people that treat you well, it's precious!
For the rest, looking forward to Tokyo. Some of my colleagues have already arrived and semi-installed. We (the ones still in Europe) are receiving updated information on how things are going there, plenty of tips, support and suggestions to make our arrival friendlier. Looking forward to it. All this fits very much into my personality. I am excited (not nervous), overwhelmingly happy about it.
Bye for now, take care!
M.

1 comment:

  1. Whaaaaaa, I really, definitely support you. In a few days you'll be in the country where things have been thought to make your life easy !!! Even if it's also the country where the rule is the rule, and sometimes there is no way to go against...
    Waiting for you in Tokyo !!!
    N

    ReplyDelete