Sunday 14 February 2010

Valentine´s day in Japan




Hello everyone!

It has been a long time, isn´t it??
I am sorry, really sorry to have kept you waiting so long and thanks again to all the friends that are always there, being attentive and showing their friendship.
This new year has been so far... very intense! the same style as 2009! ;-)
However, since I came back for New Year´s, the feeling of the "countdown" is closer than ever, so I try to "juice" every minute. Next post I will summarize the things that I have done during the last week since I left for Europe at Christmas time.



But today... what really brings me here is the occasion, a special day, "Valentine´s day"... in Japan!

I had already been explained some months ago by one of the Japanese teachers about the tradition, on this particular day, for the girls, to give chocolates to the boys (and specially to the boys they are particularly "interested in").

As soon as I learned it I was looking forward to the 14 February and seeing it at work but unfortunately this year Valentine´s day fell on Sunday :-( However, although I was preparing something nice for my male colleagues for tomorrow Monday, some of my female colleagues already took a step ahead and started on Friday. It was funny to see one side... and the other! :-)
I found this idea of the woman showing the feelings to men quite unusual but also interesting.
I learnt a few weeks after the teacher told us about S. Valentine´s that, on the other hand, one month after Valentine´s day there is the "White day" (14 March) which is the day in which men give to the girls that they received chocolates from, also chocolates or other kind of gifts (so I cannot wait until that day arrives!!). You can find also an article about this following this link (http://www.tanutech.com/japan/valentine.html). In this other link, you can follow a nice blog (in Spanish this time) where also this tradition and many others about Japan and life in Japan are explained (http://feeds.feedburner.com/unajaponesaenjapon).

I hope you enjoy... and Happy Valentine´s day to everyone! Lots of love and friendship from "Nihon",
Marta.

No comments:

Post a Comment